Texas Right to Life Education Associate Job Description
The Texas Right to Life Education Department is committed to training the next generation of Pro-Life leaders to promote a Culture of Life. This department encompasses the Dr. Joseph Graham Fellowship for College Pro-Life Leaders, Boots on the Ground Pro-Life Conference, programs for high school students including Team LIFE Camp, graduate scholarship programs for medical, nursing, and law students, and multiple other student events and activities. Additionally, the Education Department fulfills speaking engagements when community groups request a Pro-Life speaker for civic meetings, church events, school classes, etc.
To spread the mission and message of Texas Right to Life across the state, and to engage, motivate, and equip people of all ages to protect innocent human Life.
This job is located in Bellaire, TX (central Houston).
Applicants must be willing to commute daily to the Bellaire office. Working from home is not an option.
Required travel 5-7 days per month, mostly to Central or West Texas.
- Start date of either January 14th or January 21st, 2020.
- January 25-26, 2020, are two required days of training in Austin, Texas at the annual Boots on the Ground Pro-Life Conference, hosted by Texas Right to Life. All expenses will be covered.
- The general daily schedule is Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. Working events on evenings or weekends will be required occasionally, especially during the summer for our student seminars, and for one month before our annual Houston gala (usually September).
- Travel 5-7 days per month, spread over the month as desired.
- Mentor and assist Pro-Life students throughout the year with their Pro-Life events and needs.
- Travel 5-7 nights per month to visit Central or West Texas to speak to Pro-Life student groups and community members, to offer presentations on Pro-Life communication, leadership, tabling, and more.
- Monitor progress of individual students in your assigned region (Central/West Texas), review their weekly reports, and determine if they have earned their scholarship checks.
- Give basic Pro-Life bioethics presentations from the Texas Right to Life curriculum.
- Visit Pro-Life students to cultivate friendships and Pro-Life networking.
- Recruit at several colleges per month that do not currently have a Pro-Life group, in order to encourage students to apply for the Dr. Joseph Graham Fellowship.
- Promote all Education programs by visiting and contacting universities, high schools, churches, civic clubs, political clubs, etc.
- Assist in planning and leading events within all our programs, such as the Fellowship trainings, Team LIFE Camp, Boots on the Ground Conference, networking parties, and community events.
- Prepare materials and man tables at events attended by Texas Right to Life.
- Answer emails and phone calls from community members seeking Pro-Life information, and make referrals to local pregnancy resources as needed.
- Write occasional brief updates/articles to be published in the TRTL newsletter or online.
- Write brief weekly reports for your supervisor.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will be asked to perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Organizational skills
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong mentoring skills: patiently listen to problems, offer comfort, and prioritize next action plan
- Public speaking skills
- Preferred: experience working with students
- Preferred: Bilingual English and Spanish
- Passion for the Pro-Life mission
- Patience and compassion for people in crisis
- A strong sense of service
- Calm and adaptive during fast-paced events
- Self-motivated and self-managed after necessary training and guidance
- Desire to continue learning and stay up-to-date on current Pro-Life events
- High degree of integrity in professional, personal, and spiritual life
- Desire to create a fun atmosphere for students amidst difficult Pro-Life topics
Individuals must be committed to the Pro-Life philosophy of Texas Right to Life, and desire to educate others on Pro-Life issues including but not limited to: abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, and adoption. Must be willing to commit to working for a minimum of two years.
TRAINING & PREPARATION:
Training will be provided upon hire to mentor students, practice public speaking skills, present bioethics topics, present leadership classes, and on all job responsibilities. Training will be provided through written materials, video and verbal presentations, shadowing directors during their presentations, and personal instruction from supervisors. Continuous bioethics learning opportunities will be provided. Training will take place in the office and while shadowing at events in Houston and around the state.
A newly hired employee will be formally evaluated after 30 days and 60 days of employment. Management will also evaluate all employees on an annual basis.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- The Education Associate position is a full-time, starting-level position.
- Pay is commensurate with experience.
- Full benefits are offered after 60 days of employment.
- There are many opportunities to work overtime, paid at time and a half.