Baby with rare heart defect is saved by surgery
A newborn Texan has proven that when given the chance, LIFE can triumph even against astronomical odds.
When Ashley Cardenas of Odessa, TX was 16 weeks pregnant, she was told her unborn baby had an extremely rare condition known as ectopia cordis, where the heart is located outside the child’s body. Only eight out of every million babies suffer from this condition, and the survival rate is less than 10 percent. Doctors told Ashley that even in the unlikely event that her child survived until birth, they had no idea what kind of quality of life the child would have.
Ashley's choices were to have an abortion, let the child be born and receive palliative care until she passed away, or have doctors perform a high-risk surgery to repair and place the heart back inside the baby's body. Ashley bravely chose LIFE for her unborn daughter and opted for the surgery.
On October 15th, Audrina Cardenas was born with roughly one-third of her heart exposed and underwent an exhaustive six hour open-heart surgery at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston. A skilled team of cardiac and plastic surgeons worked tirelessly to repair the heart and place it back in Audrina’s newborn body.
Audrina was fortunate enough that she had no additional syndromes or genetic mutations to add additional stress on her heart. Although she faces a long recovery and future surgeries to help rebuild and strengthen her chest cavity, her prognosis is good. All of her family and medical professionals are amazed at the fighting spirit and desire to live that Audrina has demonstrated by her survival against all odds.
The Pro-Life community is thankful for this miraculous outcome, and also applauds Ashley for rejecting advice to have an abortion and instead giving Audrina a chance to live.
Abortion would not have resolved Audrina’s condition. Abortion would have only robbed her of LIFE and robbed her mother of the opportunity to have the chance to hold and know her daughter. This case powerfully illustrates that when mothers and children face these serious medical cases, they need specialized and personalized medical treatment, not abortion. Because Ashley had the courage to reject abortion, her daughter has already touched countless lives by demonstrating that anything is possible.
Join Texas Right to Life in praying that more women choose LIFE in difficult situations, and that medical professionals continue to grow in their successes in treating potentially fatal conditions.
- Federal judge denies abortionist exemption from Pro-Life law
Following a hearing today, a U.S. District Judge refused to allow an El Paso abortionist to continue abortions without admitting privileges required by recently passed House Bill 2.
- Texas focuses on ways to promote loving choice of adoption
The adoption process on a mother's end should be lauded and should be as accessible as possible.
- Grisly Houston abortionist sued for malpractice
Abortionist accused of killing infants born alive by twisting their necks, sued by former patient.
- Texas Pro-Life students stand in stark contrast to anti-Life efforts
The premier example of Pro-Life, youth activism in Texas can be found in the Dr. Joseph Graham Fellowship for College Pro-Life Leaders, going strong since its founding in 2008.
- Texas Right to Life PAC issues 2014 Primary Endorsements
- Fighting for a chance: John Mark and all preborn Texans
Weighing just 1 pound 4 ounces, John Mark became a beacon of hope for all prebron Texans fighting for a chance to live.
- British hospitals disregard Life; burn fetal remains to heat facilites
Some hospitals in the UK have been incinerating fetal remains, and some are participating in a "waste-to-energy" program.
- Legal Attacks continue against new Texas Pro-Life law
Abortion providers launch another lawsuit against HB2, hoping to lower the health and safety standards required at abortion facilities in McAllen and El Paso.
- One Mother's story Celebrating a Life Bigger than a Filibuster
- Obama, Planned Parenthood grasping for American youth to save disastrous healthcare law
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit ruled against Planned Parenthood
- Texas Right to Life defends First Amendment
Texas Right To Life & Texas Home School Coalition Intervene in Federal Lawsuit
Ethics Commission Threatening First Amendment Rights
- US Court of Appeals gives Texas a historic Pro-Life victory again
- Court date for Hobby Lobby
The views of Hobby Lobby are in line with those of a majority of Americans, who stand in opposition to the HHS mandate's disregard for religious freedom.
- Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, Pro-Life Leaders Denounce Branch Campaign Misrepresentation
Leaders Set Record Straight: Branch Tried to Expand Third-Trimester Abortions in Texas
- Wendy Davis and Planned Parenthood President twist truth on when life begins
Davis, Richards, and even Barack Obama sing same anti-scientific tune on when Life begins.
- McAllen and Beaumont Abortuaries Close
Whole Woman's Health announced that it is closing two clinics: the Beaumont location and another facility in McAllen.
- Wendy Davis earns new title
Davis was given "Ms. Internacional" award from League of United Latin American Citizens to go along with her other title: Abortion Queen.
- The Texas Right to Life Pro-Life Revolution Advances
Texas Right to Life PAC achieved our top three goals and gained some bonus in the process.
- Election results finalized: Pro-Life movement in Texas stronger than ever
Election results show voters are not willing to settle for Pro-Life talking points. The majority of Texans only want fully committed, passionate Pro-Life leaders to represent them.