Fighting assisted suicide is a central and crucial tenant of the Pro-Life movement. Pro-Lifers must make sure that the disabled, terminally ill, and elderly are not led to believe that death is the only way that their suffering will cease. All Life is valuable and individuals should never be convinced that their current condition has made them such a drain on society and their families that they have a “duty to die.”
The anti-Life movement has developed the idea of “Death with Dignity” and this has become one of their most powerful weapons. The concept behind this chilling philosophy is that people should be allowed the freedom to plan the end of their life. While it is understandable that patients do not wish to suffer endlessly, hospitals and physicians are using this movement to save money on long-term care.
Patients that endure immense suffering are being psychologically manipulated into seeing death as the only way to end their pain. While anti-Life advocates paint a picture of patients that calmly and rationally decide to die, the truth is that these patients are in an understandable state of depression from the constant pain and demoralizing prognosis. They are not always rational and with proper pain management therapy and counseling, they would be better able to cope with their feelings of despair.
Although most terminal patients and their loved ones have to make peace with illness and death, the “Death with Dignity” mentality completely overlooks the fact that there are several new treatments and medical breakthroughs on the horizon. This anti-Life philosophy robs patients of any hope to hold onto, and puts them in a dangerous mindset when contemplating issues of Life and death.
“Death with Dignity” strips away the value of human life. Under this system, if you are sick, elderly, or disabled it is argued that you offer no value to society. Every Life has value, and people should not be forced to end their lives because they see themselves as a burden to their families and society.
Pro-Life organizations and activists must continue to bring to light all issues surrounding assisted suicide. The Pro-Life movement is built around the concept of protecting the Sanctity of Life and defending the weak among us, and this includes those who are being manipulated and bullied into killing themselves.
- Opposition grows against SB303
The number of groups and citizens opposed to Senate Bill 303 continues to gain ground.
- National Right to Life urges Texans to oppose Senate Bill 303
- Despite proponents' claims, SB 303 allows denial of food and water
Take action to protect Texas patients.
- Terri Schiavo's brother urges Texas House members to reject SB 303
Bobby Schindler asks House members to spare Texans the pain encountered by his sister and to vote no on SB 303.
- Death Panel Bill Hearing Monday in Texas House
The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons implores Texans to contact their representatives about SB 303.
- Big Medicine vs. Patient's Rights
- Attorney General Greg Abbott accepts Defender of Life Award
Texas Attorney General accepts the "Defender of Life Award" at the Montgomery County Right to Life 2013 Dinner For Life.
- Hostile Orders
Should the decision be the patient's or the doctor's?
- The Void of Reason
If you missed it, the President gave a twelve minute speech at Planned Parenthood's annual gala.
- Texas 14-year-old given abortion pills against will by abuser
A Texas man is accused of impregnating a minor and coercing her into taking abortion pills.
- WND comments on proposed reforms to Texas' futile care law
New bill in works would end life despite patient, family wishes
- Texas rallies for higher abortion clinic standards, vows to prevent Gosnell horrors
Commonsense legislation would hold abortion clinics to the same standards and regulations to which other medical facilities are held.
- SB303: Long on process; short on patient protections
State Senate sends flawed and dangerous Advance Directive Bill to House
- Texas Right to Life outlines concerns with SB303 and CSSB303
Here is a chart comparing the proposed reforms of the Texas Advanced Directive Law, to real, effective reform.
- State and national Pro-Life leaders oppose Senate Bill 303, House Bill 1444
In a letter to Texas State Legislators, Pro-Life leaders and medical professionals stated their concerns with proposed "reforms" to the Texas futile care law.
- Dr. Elizabeth Wickham, President of LifeTree, Comments on Texas SB 303
- Texas Preborn Pain: Pro-Life side prevails in hearing
Multiple Pro-Life medical and legal experts demonstrated the need for and defended the bill against one of the most pro-abortion members of the Texas House of Representatives.
- Texas is about to face another crisis in its healthcare
Everyone in the State, regardless of their present state of health could be affected by this Bill in the event of a serious illness or an accident.
- Experts set to testify on Texas Right to Life's PreBorn Pain Bill
Medical professionals will testify before the House State Affairs Committee offering support of the Texas Preborn Pain Bill.
- Truce keeps Texas budget Pro-Life and House floor calm